Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Finding my purpose?

Well, as we all know, the Lord works in mysterious ways...

I just finished reading The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren today. I began reading this book 40 days ago and each day had a new lesson to learn. By the end of this book, you are supposed to discover what your purpose is in life. Once you discover that your main purpose in life is to bring people closer to Christ, you then begin to narrow down the HOW based on the talents and abilities God gave you. I've been questioning my career path for quite some time and I feel as if I have a good grasp on it. But tonight at the New Member Dinner at Faith Church St. Louis, I began to hear an even stronger calling to a talent I have somewhat forgotten over the years.

Since my main focus has been on strictly acting for so long, I kind of let my singing take a back seat. Yeah, I have done my fair share of musicals and I sang at church and at my cousin's wedding, but I noticed that I don't sing as much in the car as I used to. I love my tunes, but I haven't been singing along so much anymore. I remember that rush I used to get when I bought a new CD that allowed me to belt it out until I could no longer speak. And seriously, I miss that.

Tonight after my mom, Bob, and I got a tour of the church facilities, my mom and I went back into the church to use the restrooms. I stopped to talk to Morgan, a new friend, and my mom started talking to Shelby, the worship leader. I overheard my name and headed over to them. Little did I know that my mom had pretty much set up an audition for me. So there I was auditioning in front of these amazingly talented singers who stand up in front of hundreds and hundreds of people every week and sing praises to the Lord. Mind you, this isn't your regular church. There are around 2,000 people who attend this church...quite a lot compared to little Trenton First United Methodist Church back home! So I sang...not once...not twice...but 3 times (God likes His 3's doesn't He?) for everyone...including Pastor David, his wife Pastor Nicole, and anyone else that could hear me in ear-shot. Goodness gracious...if that didn't give me a rush! My heart was STILL beating fast as I drove home. So they want me to sing with the band. I've only been going to this church 1 month and I'm already this involved! I love it though...it feels so much like home...even if it is pretty far from home distance-wise.

So, yes, there has been a change in me! And it's called Jesus! I know there are many great things in store for me, but I honestly don't want to get ahead of myself. I like it just where I am. I am genuinely happy. I have gotten the urge to call people from my past that have hurt me, but every time I pick up my phone I just don't have it in me to go through all of that pain again. Those people are associated with my past for a reason...they are SUPPOSED TO STAY THERE!!!

Glory to God in the Highest and Peace to His People on Earth! Amen!

Life is wonderful and things can only get better from here.

Peace.

No comments: